Friday, February 1, 2008

Yellow Cake




I didn't have time to go to the store for a box of yellow cake and chocolate frosting as JS requested. I called Mare and she of course had the perfect recipe on hand. It looked just like a store bought cake when finished. JS was almost tricked, but in the end he figured me out! There probably weren't enough preservatives or high fructose corn syrup in my version! I loved the cake and it reminded me of a cake that my grandmother made. My grandmother's cake was always served in a bowl with milk on top. I poured milk on top of my cake and it was delicious! No wonder I love moist cake. I grew up eating it soaked in milk!

YELLOW BIRTHDAY CAKE
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour pan ( or use one of those baking sprays that has flour in it)
2.  Cream butter for 1-2 minutes; add the sugar and cream for another 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks and beat for another minute or until mixture appears light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla extract
3.  In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda  and salt.  Add a third of the flour mixture to butter-sugar mixturea nd mix well.  Then mixing,(but not overbeating) affter each addition, add half the buttermilk, followed by another third of flour, remaining buttermilk, and finally the last of the flour.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff.  Gently fold into batter with a rubber spatula.  Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
 
2- 8 or 9 inch pans   45 minutes
13 by 9 by 2 inch     45 minutes
24 cupcake tins       20 minutes
 
 
Buttercream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 4 T milk

* To make chocolate buttercream frosting replace 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 cup of cocoa.
 
With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla at low speed.  Add milk bit by bit until mixture reaches a spreadable consistency. 

6 comments:

Lauren said...

That cake looks so good - Abby's birthday is next week and I was planning on a pink themed cake but now I am thinking of a way to incorporate the chocolate. Audrey - at Deep Creek you told me about those beautiful charms and I cant remember the name. Would you mind letting me know - you could email Melissa if that is the easiest. Mother's day is around the corner........

Jana said...

Yum! Will you post the recipe?

alexandra said...

How funny that he wanted store bought mix. Brig only wants that bc it means fewer dishes to wash.

Mary Ann said...

Aud,
I am so amazed at these murray boys! Yesterday I made homemade buttermilk pancakes (that turned into sprinkle pancakes) and matt said 'these aren't from a mix are they?' I said no. Then "I think the mix gives the pancakes more flavor". I was flabbergasted!

Mary Ann said...

When I link your blog on my page am I allowed to write your names(audrey and jana)? just wondering

Audrey and the Boys said...

Lauren-
I'll post about the charms!
Audrey