Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chicken Tikka Masala

I made this tasty dish for dinner tonight. I got the recipe from a friend in my cooking club. If you like Indian food, this is a "must try." Delicious!

Chicken Tikka Masala
1 cup yogurt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp salt
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

4 long skewers

1 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 tsp cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, ginger, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Preheat grill for high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers and discard marinade. Grill 5 minutes on each side.
4. Melt butter in a large skillet. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 tsp cumin, paprika, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh cilantro.

9 comments:

Frozen Cacti said...

I'm salivating right now. That is one of our favorites. Did you get that from Alisa by chance?

This is a cute idea for a blog. What a fun way to stay connected.

Jana said...

Hey Frozen Cacti! I actually got this recipe from Lindsay P. I'm telling you - you need to try it. It is even better the next day, after the flavors "marinate" awhile. Love your blog. You take such amazing pictures. I wish you could give me a tutorial.

Audrey and the Boys said...

It sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it! I love Indian food. My good friend Deepa used to make Indian food and invite me for dinner at least once a week! I am in Indian food withdrawal after moving, since I don't have any Indian friends to cook for me anymore!

Mary Ann said...

Aud- me and mom were just talking about Deepa's food the other day. Yum!I am going to have to try this one

Kari said...

This looks so good, and I like that it calls for regular ingredients - nothing too hard to find. I'll be trying this soon!

b.liz said...

I'm in a cooking rut...so this recipe might just boost me out of it! I think this will bring back memories of all the incredible Indian restaurants we had close by when we lived in NYC. Yum.

Now if I only had a great recipe for Nan bread! Anyone?!

melissa said...

Mmmmmm! That looks delicious!

Alisa said...

Ooooo yum! I can't wait to try it!

Kari said...

OK, I made this and it was soooo good. It's the first time my attempts at Indian food actually tasted authentic. I love this recipe, thank you!