Thursday, May 8, 2008

Book Club Food


Now on to my second addiction: baked goods!

I can and do eat more cookies than probably anyone I know! I am trying to stop and recently have started my new once a week rule. Since I have no self control after I start eating a delicious homemade cookie, I am only letting myself eat cookies or treats once a week. So far so good.

For bookclub this past week I made two fabulous desserts. Mare passed this lemon meringue cupcake recipe on to me. I loved them. I made a couple of alterations though. I actually put them under the broiler after topping with meringue so they were cooked like they would be on a pie. I also stuck them in the refrigerator before serving which helped the lemon curd seep into the cupcake and produce the most delicious lemon pound cake. YUMMY! Definitely try these if you like lemon.

I also made a chocolate frosted, chocolate chip, chocolate cookie that was, in my opinion, fantastic. Jana's almond punch was my first try at a big punch bowl. Jenn's Blue Cheese Bacon Dip and Red Pepper Artichoke folds were both very tasty too.

*Please click on the link above to find recipes for the lemon cupcakes, chocolate cookies and blue cheese bacon dip. The other two recipes are below.

Red Pepper Artichoke Cups
24 Square wonton wrapperes
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup diced re bell peppers
2 Tablespoons finely snipped fresh parsley
1 lemon rind
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated

Preheat oven to 350. Press one wonton wrapper into each cup of mini-muffin pan. (Oil the pan and lightly spray the wonton with oil. Bake 6 minutes or until edges of wontons are light golden brown. Remove from oven, leaving wontons in  pan. 

Mix all ingredients (leaving some parmesean cheese for sprinkling on top). Fill each wonton cup with one rouned scoop of artichoke mixture; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan Cheese

Bake 8 minutes or until edges of wontons are crispy and golden brown. 
Remove from pan and serve immediately


Almond Citrus Punch
1 (12 oz.) can frozen lemonade
1 (12 oz.) cans frozen orange juice
5 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1 liter 7-Up

Combine all ingredients except for 7-UP. Add soda right before serving.


5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I will have to try the other recipes too. If only I had a party coming up!

Jana said...

Wow! Those cupcakes look so delectable. Sounds like you had a fun night. I'm curious if the punch recipe had the right proportions. (I think I wrote the recipe from memory). Yikes! Was it too concentrated? Did you have to add more water or lemon lime?
PS Did you take that picture of the cupcakes? Also, where do you find the cups for the mini cupcakes? I haven't seen those in the store.

Audrey and the Boys said...

I only made 1/2 your recipe for punch because I didn't have a big enough bowl. It was great though. I didn't take the photo of the cupcakes, that is straight from Rachel Ray. I was too busy cleaning up my baking mess before my guests arrived to take any shots! I got my mini-muffin cups at Michael's in their baking section.

Jana said...

Thanks, Aud!

Unknown said...

i admire your restraint, once a week!! i totally need to implement such a rule. those meringue cupcakes look so yummy, and i love that they are a little different! did you guys read anything good? i'm on the hunt for a new book... i'm craving a really good read...