Monday, January 28, 2008

Book List

This list is a little long but here it goes.

Books I've read recently:
Imperial Woman - Pearl S. Buck 
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Warriors Don't Cry - Melba Patillo Beals
Night -  Elie Wiesel
A Mighty Heart - Mariane Pearl

Still on my reading list:
The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudia Arabia
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
His Excellency: George Washtington - Joseph J. Ellis
Water for Elephants: A Novel - Sara Gruen
Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel - Lisa See
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio - Terry Ryan and Suze Orman
Two Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage - Madeline L'Engle
Object of Virtue: A Novel - Nicholas Nicholson
The Ultimate Gift - Jim Stovall
History of Love - Nicole Krauss

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow - that is a great list! i just read a fine balance last year. good, but very very depressing. a good reminder that life is very hard in a lot of places.

i'm going to add some of your list to mine.

Lauren said...

This is a great list. Elie Weisel often speaks at the Jewish Center in our neighborhood and I am dying to go to one of his classes. By the way - I loved the pictures of your house in VA in Lynne and Melissa's site - especially the prints in the hall. Very inspirational!

Jana said...

I heard that "History of Love" is a fabulous book. I'm so glad you sent your list. What are you reading next?

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TJB said...

I am longing to read some Stegner again - for now it is just technical books on dynamic programming and econometrics.

I also think it is time to tackle Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead. What do you think?

I read a little B.H. Roberts and was really uplifted.

TJB said...

Also, it being an election year and all I am trying to get J. to read Anything That Is Peaceful. Give her some encouragement.