Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Peachy Keen

We packed up our kids Saturday and drove to a peach orchard for our 2nd annual picking fest. We came home with 32 lbs. - enough to make peach pies & shakes, eat some straight out of the skin, and still have some left over for me to try my hand at canning. I am a total novice, but it was a fun experience - thanks to my dear friend Veronique, who walked me through the entire process - and I think I'll try it again (next time with bigger peaches).


I tried your pie, Aud. It was delectable! I made it with my aunt's crust, which is sweet and tasted so great with your pie. (I've included your recipe for anyone who doesn't have it already). Happy peach season!

Nancy Morgan's Fresh Peach Pie
5 large fresh peaches
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 Tbsp. cornstartch
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Slice 3 peaches in pre-cooked pie shell. Mash other 2 peaches in pan along with sugar, cornstarch and water. Cook 5 minutes until boiling or thick. Add almond extract and butter. Pour over sliced peaches. Chill.

Phyllis' Ultimate Pie Crust

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
4 Tbsp. ice water
1 tsp. vinegar

Beat together butter and shortening until smooth and creamy and chill until firm. Sift together flour, sugar, salt in medium bowl. Cut the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients. Mix egg yolk, ice water, and vinegar into the dough. Form into a ball and refrigerate for one hour so it will be easier to work with. Makes 1 two-crust pie.

5 comments:

KathyD said...

Yumm, that peach pie sounds so good. I've never tried peach pie before, I think I'll have to make it. I'm impressed with your canning, isn't it fun? I did it once at my mom's house, I got a bunch of peaches from Brigham City and it was easier than I thought it would be. Plus the satisfaction you get from preserving your own food is an added bonus.

Audrey and the Boys said...

That pie is one of my all time favorites! I am glad you enjoyed it. I am impressed with your home canning! I remember my mom slaving away over the canner for hours every hot summer afternoon! I don't think I have as much ambition as you do here Jana! I might ask my mom to show me a few tricks when I visit this month though.

Mary Ann said...

Aud,
me and mom were just figuring out that mom doesn't have an invite to your private blog. she just always looks with me. And, isn't that nancy morgan's fresh peach pie recipe? I am learning that you gotta give credit where credit is due with the recipes- :) just a friendly note

Jana said...

Thanks, Mare. I should have put the name on the pie recipe.

melissa said...

That pie sounds delicious!