Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Books, books, books


I just finished this book on Monday, and it was both heartwrenching and inspiring - a true tale of victory. It is the story of a Tutsi woman who survived the Rwandan Holocaust by hiding in a cramped bathroom for 91 days with seven other women. While there, she came to know God in a most intimate way. This book really made me contemplate my own relationship with God.
I watched "Hotel Rwanda" several years ago, and I was so upset that I cried for some time after the movie was finished. It was a very touching film, but I thought I wouldn't put my emotions through watching it again. I think now that I have a much better understanding of the conflict and history in Rwanda, I would like to see it once more.

Audrey, I read "A Mighty Heart" by Mariane Pearl while on vacation, and I loved it. What an amazing book. It was so well written. My favorite part, though, was their love story.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I will take the credit for telling Aud about A Mighty Heart:)jk I loved it. I felt like reading it was a life-changing experience for me. I am getting chills just thinking about it. I photocopied the dedication at the beginning of the book and carry it with me because I think it is so powerful. The other book sounds really good. I am kind of on a non-fiction kick right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Audrey and the Boys said...

I cried like crazy all through Hotel Rwanda too. Thanks for suggesting this book. I'll grab it soon!