Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dorie's Cupcakes (courtesy of my sister)


photo by Mary Ann

My sister told me about these cupcakes while I was home visiting in August. She posted them in a different form today on her blog so I thought I would pass them along. They are the best chocolate cupcakes I have ever had. I absolutely loved them and I am not a die-hard cupcake fan either. 

Here is the recipe:

Dorie's Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes- makes 12 cupcakes from Baking by Dorie

Greenspan, pg. 215-16
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin tins or use paper liners. (I used Crisco with Flour spray)
Whisk together the flour,cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, then yolk, beating for 1 minute, after each addition and scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Beat in the vanilla, then reduce mixer speed to low, and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Scrape down the bowl and add the buttermilk, mixing until incorporated, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Scrape down the bowl, add the melted chocolate and mix it in with the rubber spatula. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin molds.
Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes are dry and springy to the touch and a knife inserted into their centers comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes, before unmolding them. Cool to room temperature before frosting of glazing.

I topped them with a glaze from her friend Clara's blog

For the glaze
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (Valrhona bittersweet 70%)
1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces

To make the glaze—
Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of shimmering water. Transfer the bowl to the counter and let stand for 5 minutes.Using a small whisk or rubber spatula, stir the confectioners’ sugar into the chocolate, followed by the pieces of cold butter. 

4 comments:

Jana said...

Oooh la la! Those are some yummy looking cupcakes! I'm not a big cupcake girl myself, but I'm going to have to try those.
BTW Did Mare get a new camera, too? I've noticed that her food blog pictures have gotten really professional looking. Great work, Mare. She is seriously an impressive cook!

Audrey and the Boys said...

She didn't get a new camera, She told me that she just read her camera manual and learned to shoot in macro mode. She is an impressive chef!

Mary Ann said...

Aud- I am so glad that you liked the cupcakes. A bunch of people in our baking group had trouble with them turning out dry, which mystified me because both times they turned out moist for me. Dorie always has such detailed directions, so I try to follow them exactly. The glaze is actually the one that Dorie included with the recipe, I just didn't use it the first time I made them. Isn't Clara's blog cute? Thanks Jana. I am kinda embarrassed about the earlier pics on my food blog. But I guess you live and learn and now they look a bit better.

Mary Ann said...

p.s.
Wish you both lived closer and we could share all this yummy food together!