Friday, August 8, 2008

Curtain Catastrophe



I am blessed to have two very talented and FAST friends. My sister Mare can whip up a gourmet meal faster than I can make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and my friend Melissa is the most prolific creator I have met. She sews and reupholsters and paints. I like to make things, but I am not blessed with the gift of speed. It takes me so long to finish my creations. If I don't take my time I always seem to make major mistakes.

Well yesterday I decided that I wanted to work on a project and finish it fast. I had one hour before nap time was up and I wanted to finish my kitchen roller shades. Well they are finished, but unfortunately, I worked a little too quickly and forgot to add enough yardage to the edges. So here is my finished product. Should I just start over? I don't know how people do things quickly and well! Oh well!! At least I won't make this mistake again!

Melissa gave me the great idea of the roller shades by the way!

PS If I do keep them I will finish the bottom with a cute tassle. I just can't decide if they are worth keeping though. I might start over with new fabric. 

PPS Don't worry about hurting my feelings! Say whatever you think!

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Aud, you are very talented! I would never even attempt to make something like that. I think that they look fine, but I am not an expert. I like the material!

Jana said...

Aud, that fabric is so pretty! What can you do to fix them? Could you just sew on a 1/4" border around each side (perhaps in a coordinating fabric that would go well with the tassels)? If so, that would be my vote. I like the shades a lot.

melissa said...

I love it! Yes, I agree with Jana, why don't you just add a strip to the side. I think a tan linen would be so pretty. This could be an opportunity to add a detail that you normally wouldn't think of!

rwn said...

it is so beautiful. hmm. it is not too bad. i think it is okay for now, no one will notice but you, however, if you still have the fabric, you can make it again. everything is much easier the second time. then could you make some for me? i need window shades like crazy!

Unknown said...

I like the border idea!

Anonymous said...

Definitely add a border. It will bug you every time you look at it. But it looks great!