Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ready for a Luau


I have been planning a return trip to Hawaii for the whole family. It looks like it won't happen because of the long flights and the expense of 4 tickets. So what to do with all of my Hawaiian dreams?

How about an end of preschool luau? The highlight definitely was watching a volcano explode. The kids used two bottles of vinegar and still weren't tired of the action! I used this super simple recipe from Create Kids Crafts.


We learned the actions to the Hukilau song, ate fresh pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts and after reading books about Hawaii, used photos of Hawaii to make postcards of our favorite sights.

We also had the best banana bread in the world: Coconut Lime Glazed Banana Bread. Mary Ann hooked me up with this recipe from Cooking Light a couple of years ago and I haven't made a different banana bread since. I love it!


4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I am going to have to do the volcanoes for v day. The pics of the asparagus sandwiches are up. I made another batch yesterday because I doubled the butter spread. Yum!

Lauren said...

Luau's are so much fun - and i love all the fresh fruit!

That banana bread recipe looks divine - thanks for sharing it.

melissa said...

I wish I could come to your luau!

Jana said...

That is one creative luau you created. Maybe YOU should become a party planner! What a fun idea for preschool!