Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fun with Flubber


Have your kids played with flubber? It's awesome! (Sort of a cross between slime and silly putty). We collected our first flubber at my son's school carnival this weekend, and the kids have had a blast with it. J made a flubber worm that ran from the table across three chairs and a stool and down to the ground - and that was all with the small blob of light blue goo you see in the picture!

We are definitely going to be adding to our flubber collection this week. Here is our teacher's recipe for flubber:
1. Mix 2 cups Elmer's glue and 1 1/2 cups warm water. Add food coloring. Stir to dissolve.
2. In a small bowl mix 3 tsp. Borax with 1 1/3 cups warm water. Stir to dissolve.
3. Pour Borax mixture into glue mixture. Do not stir. Wait at least 10 minutes. Stir slightly after it sits. Remove excess water (throw away in trash, not down the sink).
*You can find Borax in the detergent aisle at the grocery store.

3 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

Sounds like a blast. I'm glad you found the recipe. I'll have to try it. I wonder where you can find liquid waer color though?

Jana said...

I wondered the same thing - and will find out. I saw another recipe that was demonstrated online. She used food coloring (and didn't mix it in with the glue ahead of time) and the flubber was hardly colored at all. I'll let you know my findings...

Jana said...

Here's a tried-and-true recipe with food coloring instead. It is the recipe used for the flubber in our picture.