Thursday, January 22, 2009

Many Months, No Post


I haven't posted for ages!
It's a good thing you are so much better than I am, Audrey!

I've always found silhouettes so enchanting. My mom had some beautiful silhouettes done of my three older siblings when they were about 5, 7, and 9. An immensely talented woman looked at their profiles and created the most perfect likenesses of them - freehand!

I could never accomplish such a task, but I have always wanted to have silhouettes of my children. Since we are in school (and my budget is tight), I decided to make some of my own. I was inspired by NieNie, who makes silhouettes of her family each year to document how they have grown. Of course, I am inspired by her for so many reasons. She is truly a miracle.

Above is the new header for my personal blog. I am going to make black silhouettes from these to hang on my wall. Below are miniature versions for our family home evening board. I glued the silhouettes & patterned paper onto some scalloped chipboard and painted them with Mod Podge (so they'll last longer). It was a fun little project - even though I promised my husband I wouldn't do any more projects for awhile. :) I can't help myself!



12 comments:

KathyD said...

I love this idea. How did you do the silhouettes? Is there an easy trick? I've been wanting to do some of my kids for a while, but don't know how.

Jana said...

Kathy,
I just had my kids stand against a plain white wall, and I took a profile shot. I adjusted the size and printed the picture on regular paper. Crazy enough, I used cuticle scissors to cut out the pictures because they were the only ones small enough to cut the tiny details of the miniature silhouettes. I just blackened them with a permanent marker and then Mod Podged them onto the chipboard. For the wall silhouettes, I will trace the profiles onto acid-free black paper and do black on white. Hope this helps. Good luck, Kathy!

Frozen Cacti said...

That is seriously such a fun idea!

Audrey and the Boys said...

Wow Jana-
They are gorgeous. I want to do some. I love that they hang from the FHE board. It is such a cute idea. Thank goodness for photography. I would never be able to freehand a silhouette! Thanks for sharing!

Audrey and the Boys said...

By the way, what is chipboard?

Jana said...

Hey Aud -
Chipboard is stiff board made of compressed wood particles. They do really cute stuff with it (cut outs, letters, etc). You can find it at a scrapbook store or Michael's.

alexandra said...

I love this! I made a set for my sister's kids for Christmas, but I love the FHE idea. I also like the way you did them (the black paint made the project more trouble than just a black marker.

KathyD said...

I got my silhouettes done, thanks for the info. I'll have to post some pics on my blog when I get them hung up.

Jana said...

Kathy -
I'm so glad your silhouettes turned out. I can't wait to see them. Miss you.

Alisa said...

Oh, this is what you were trying to explain to me! They look great! I love them, what a cute idea.

melissa said...

That is so perfect Jana! I love how mini the little silhouette ornaments are!

Poulsen Family said...

So cute! I have blank hearts on my FHE board and have been trying to figure out a way to put names on, I love this idea!