Thursday, November 13, 2008

C is for Cookie

I am always in search of the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I currently have 4 or 5 recipes that I really like - one has ground oatmeal, another a combination of white and dark chocolate chips with a touch of almond flavoring, another calls for toffee chips. Some have all butter, and others use a portion of shortening or margarine.

I just got my hands on a great recipe. It is my current favorite. I love my cookies to look like this (see above) - blobby, thick and soft instead of flat, thin and crisp. 

This recipe is a definite must try! Do you have any great chocolate chip cookie recipes you'd like to share? I'm always looking to add to my collection. :)

Sozel Flake's Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter
1 c. shortening
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
5 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 - 5 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate mixed together are the best)

Preheat oven to 375 - 400 degrees. Beat butter, shortening, and sugars together. Next add eggs and vanilla and mix. Then add flour and the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix well and add chips. Bake 8 minutes. Drop the pan onto the counter when you take it out so that the cookies fall. I always cook them at 400, but if you know your oven cooks hotter, then use 375. If I have cooked some cookies on a pan and I am using it again for more cookies, I will adjust the time to bake them for 7 min. 45 sec. or 7 min. 30 sec.

7 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

I just finished making a batch of chocolate chips to send in the mail to one of Mare's Baking Gals cookie send-offs. She organizes groups of girls to send cookies to servicemen. I wasn't crazy about the way they turned out though. I'll definitely try this recipe on my next batch. I don't shortening or margarine though. I only have butter. I wonder if it matters??

Unknown said...

Interesting that you should post about Chocolate Chip Cookies. There is a whole debate going on in the food blog world about the best chocolate chip cookie recipe. If you are interested here a couple links that are interesting- http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/11/leites-connusmate-chocolate-chip-cookie/

http://phemomenon.blogspot.com/2008/11/great-chocolate-chip-cookie-debate.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html

I am actually going to be making both of these recipes soon, so I will let you know the results!

alexandra said...

I have been looking for a new recipe and tried one I found disappointing. These look perfect! I will be making them tonight. I love the recipes you guys post. They have all been delicious (the ones I have tried).

As for shortening v. butter, I think it does matter. The shortening, I have found, tends to help fluff the cookie up a bit. I used to be strictly pro-butter, but shortening is good in cookies. I will never ever ever use margarine in anything.

Jana said...

Hi all -
I just snuck a minute to answer Aud's question about shortening vs. butter, and I saw Alexandra's post (she couldn't have put it better). Shortening tends to give the cookies a little more "body" (if you can actually use that word to describe a cookie). I would never use all shortening (yuck!), but the combo of real butter and shortening works great. I know, Aud, you are thinking, "No way!" but just go buy a tub of Crisco and try this recipe. :) You can give all the cookies away to your neighbors except for one tiny nibble!!! I hope those of you who try this recipe like it. Let me know if it does/doesn't work out.
Mare, thanks for the sites. I'll check them out.
Alexandra, I'm glad you have been able to use some of the recipes on the blog. Aud told me you tried the Tikka Masala.

alexandra said...

I did try the Tikka Masala and it honestly was restaurant quality. (Costco sells a very authentic Basmati rice; the only better rice I have found was sold at an Indian store in Foothills Shopping in SLC). I have made the Tikka a few times since. My husband loves it.

I made these cookies the other day and they were awesome. I am thinking about experimenting with changing the proportions of brown and white sugar (more brown, less white instead of equal portions). I like brown sugar. We'll see if it turns out ok.

Poulsen Family said...

Oh, I'll have to try this one for sure. I have a mock Mrs. Field's recipe that taste delicious, but I've been wanting to tweak it a little because it has more brown sugar than white and tends to fall apart after a few days of sitting around. Thanks Jana!

JasmineJ said...

I honestly don't recall how I happened upon your blog (I'm always on the lookout for bloggers with great ideas), but I hope you don't mind a comment from a total stranger.

Your post regarding chocolate chip cookies is very timely. This week, my husband and I discovered the NY Times chocolate chip recipe linked in the article posted by Mary Ann, and it is hands down the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever tried. The dark chocolate and sea salt combo make for an excellent flavor, and a larger cookie makes for excellent texture. I highly recommend that you give these ones a try.